TOEFL INDEPENDENT WRITING
The Independent Writing task is an opinion essay, where you are asked to provide your ideas on a general question. You will have about 25 minutes to complete this writing task.
The sample questions for Independent Writing task A like those:
- What discovery in the last 100 years has been most beneficial for people in your country? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.
- Some people like doing work by hand. Others prefer using machines. Which do you prefer? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Some people say that physical exercise should be a required part of every school day. Other people believe that students should spend the whole school day on academic studies. Which opinion do you agree with? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.
- A friend of yours has received some money and plans to use all of it either * to go on vacation * to buy a car Your friend has asked you for advice. Compare your friend's two choices and explain which one you think your friend should choose. Use specific reasons and details to support your choice.
TOEFL INTEGRATED WRITING
Integrated Writing Passage procedures are:
- Firstly, you read an academic passage for 3 minutes.
- Then, you listen to a lecture about the same topic with the passage
- After that, you write an essay.
Timing of Integrated Writing Passage
- Reading for 3 minutes.
- Writing for 20 minutes.
Important points of the essay
- The essay you write should summarize the lecture and passage and
- It should show the relationship between them.
- It should not be included your own opinion and bring in any information from outside the passage and the lecture.
- It should be around 150-225 words.
- You may reread the passage but not listen to the lecture again.
The reading passage and the lecture are not different actually. The lecture has some doubts on the key points in the reading passage or alternatively, the lecture supports the key points in the passage with the examples.
So that was easy. Firstly, you should summarize key points mentioned in the lecture and then express how these points relate to the reading.
The passage structure is standardized in most cases. The passage or article starts with the main statement and three paragraphs carry the main ideas supports the main statement.
The structure of the lecture also keeps the same arrangement. The main points mentioned in the lecture support or refute the passage.